Friday, February 4, 2011

In the Blizzard of '77, the Cars Were Just Lumps In the Snow.

Oh blog, I have neglected you thoughtlessly. My deepest apologies. I'm really sorry to all two of my readers.

Anyone who knows me knows that I hate winter. A lot. It is my least favorite time of the year. I like spring and summer, because I like sunshine and sundresses (I tried to come up with a third thing with "sun" in it, but all I could think of was sunburn, which I do not like at all.) Anyway, it is unfortunately February, and there has been blizzards and ice storms and on Tuesday morning my house looked like the set of The Day After Tomorrow (which I wouldn't have minded, if I were trapped in a library with Jake Gyllenhaal.)

HOWEVER, the point of this blog is not to complain, as it is supposed to be a happy place. So I have decided to list the (albeit, few) things that I like about winter. Positive thinking is half the battle, right?


  • Driving through snowy forests at night.
I love to see my headlights reflecting off the snowy branches. It seems so beautiful and haunting, and reminds me of that Robert Frost poem.

  • Drinking earl grey tea while wearing a soft grey sweater and watching a foreign film, such as Amelie or Der Untergang.
Its just so damn cozy. And if you haven't seen Der Untergang, I HIGHLY recommend it. It's in German, but fabulous. I'm fairly certain (but far too lazy to check) that Bruno Ganz won a bunch of awards, which is impressive, since nobody REALLY likes to award Hitler for anything. Except being crazy.

  • Christmas lights
In my family, I am considered the Christmas Festivities KGB. There is no Christmas music, movies or decorations permitted until after Thanksgiving dinner is done and cleaned up. I also don't allow colored Christmas lights on any of our trees or outside our house. I can negotiate on the big bulbed retro ones, but otherwise...no dice. I especially like when it snows and the lights glow underneath, and it looks like a magical wonderland.

  • Wearing my winter clothes (for about the first three weeks)\
I say the first three weeks, because by then, I've worn them all and I'm bored. This usually wraps up after Christmas. Come to think of it, I'd like winter a lot better if it ended on December 26. All of the fun stuff happens before then.
(now doesn't she just look adorably cozy?)

  • My snuggie
I will not apologize for my love of this glorious blue blanket...with sleeves.

  • Not feeling weird about drinking hot coffee
For more information, feel free to check out the poem I dedicated to a coffee maker. I'll drink coffee when its three hundred degrees out, but seems more fitting when it's cold.



  • The beach
Have you ever seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? I mean, come on. That should be explanation enough.

  • My winter playlist
Oh don't you worry your pretty little heads...this will get a post of its own, very soon.

  • Starbucks holiday drinks
Because peppermint chocolate ANYTHING is worth the cold...at least for the five minutes it takes me to devour a grande.

  • Using the fireplace in my basement.
I like flammable things. And flammable things in my very own living room? FUN!

But what I like most about winter? Is the end. Only 44 days until spring!

Until next time, my darlings!

1 comment:

  1. So you like Hitler, the snuggie, and peppermint. Grosss.... :( On the other hand, you like cozy-looking HOT chicks, Eternal Sunshine and FIRE. Very cool. :) Win-win-win.

    ReplyDelete