Monday, February 14, 2011

The Force is Strong in You...As Strong As a Small Pony



Today is Valentine’s Day.

I hate Valentine’s Day. I know, I know. You will brush this off as the biased opinion of a young woman on her way to spinsterhood, and her embittered view of the world. But this is not (entirely) true. I just don’t like the concept, in general. Even if you’re in a relationship, it’s stressful. You have to find the perfect gift. If you haven’t already, you have to define whatever relationship you’re currently in. Insecure women begin badgering their significant others about whether this relationship is “going anywhere”. Men are pressured to propose, regardless of if they feel ready, because that is what you do on Valentine’s Day. Even worse, women feel pressured to accept, which could very well result in two people who only vaguely want to get married taking the plunge, just because Necco wants to make those nasty-tasting little hearts. Restaurants are packed with nervous couples, food is overpriced, and Africa is again raped by Western consumerism. Generally, either one or both parties of the couple end up hurt or disappointed in the outcome of the day.

If you are in love, be in love. Celebrate your anniversary, or pick a day that means something to the both of you. Don’t proclaim your love just because its printed on the calendar that you should. External pressures rarely have a positive effect on relationships.

But I am determined that this blog remain a happy place for me, so in honor of this dreadful day, I will talk about something that I truly love.

Star Wars.

I love SW. I enjoyed it as a child, but when the new trilogy was released, I fell in love. (And by new trilogy, I mean Phantom Menace. Because the other two starred Hayden Christiansan, who I liked in every movie he’s been in, EXCEPT Star Wars.) Now, I am fully aware that anyone reading who happens to be a hardcore SW fan will immediately exit the page and write me off. But let me finish.

Yes, Jar Jar was absolutely the most irritating character in the SW universe, except perhaps Anakin (especially at the end of III, because by then I would rather listen to Jar Jar’s baby talk than Anakin’s completely baseless paranoia and lack of appreciation for those who truly cared about him.)

But I liked Queen Amidala. As a twelve year old girl facing the challenges of adolescents, pressures of home and general emotional issues, life seemed insurmountable. But then there was this movie, where a 14 year old girl was ruling an entire planet, which was under attack. Despite this, she remained outwardly calm, not throwing a temper tantrum, but instead facing the problem as a level-headed young woman.

Ok, yes. And I liked her clothes.

Anyway, this became something of an obsession. I was nicknamed Amidala by my friends, I wrote fan fiction, I read every book I could get my hands on, and I once again re-visited the original trilogy. I collected memorabilia, I dressed as the queen for Halloween (and at my school, everyone showed up in costume, so yes, I wandered around in white face paint among my peers.) In her I felt a sense of strength and will that I never had before. When faced with a difficult situation, I would not retreat into myself, but rather assume a cool mask, forcing myself to instead approach it in a regal manner.

And as my love of SW continued, as I mentioned, I began to examine the entire phenomenon. I love the movies. I like that George Lucas constructed a world based heavily in ancient mythologies, while still putting a completely different spin on it. I love that in high school, we spent an entire month dissecting the plots and the characters, identifying archtypes, noting the importance of the colors of the lightsabers, and the story archs that can be identified in all epics.

I love that SW transcends the stereotypical thirty five year old man living in his parent’s basement.


 
I love that it is a franchise that overwhelmingly appeals to the disenfranchised. There are a vast number of people in this world who feel disconnected. They feel alone, misunderstood. And for some of these individuals, SW provides them with a sense of belonging. It is truly a “come as you are” community. After all, if I’m dressed as the Queen of Naboo, who am I to judge you for where you fit into societal preconceptions about success and attractiveness?

It is a warm and welcoming place. It is silly, and an escape from the everyday stressors we all find ourselves victim to. Does it really matter, in the scheme of the world, that Lando Calrissian is a backstabber? No. But the fact that he attempts to redeem himself gives us hope for ourselves, when we have wronged others, and when others have wronged us. After all, if he can stand up to Darth Vader, why can’t I suck up my pride and apologize?

SW has created an entire counterculture. And it doesn’t matter if you’re arguing about whether or not Wedge Antilles is the unsung hero of the rebellion. What matters is that you can be having that argument with a fourteen year old boy, fifty five year old woman, or someone half a world away that you may otherwise have never interacted with.

Besides all of the kumbaiya aspects of Star Wars, I also enjoy when it spills over into every day life. For example, Weird Al Yankovic songs:



Or any song that references Star Wars:


 
I also enjoy impromptu Jedi battles on the streets of Philadelphia:



And I hope that eventually, should I be in a relationship on this blasted day, that my future beau* will have the same hopes and dreams that I have.

And that those dreams involve the Han and Leia fantasy, because she looks damn good in that gold bikini.




*Thanks to Paul, for pointing out that we should really bring that term back.

2 comments:

  1. "And it doesn’t matter if you’re arguing about whether or not Wedge Antilles is the unsung hero of the rebellion." Hahaha, nice. Didn't know you are a huge SW fan. Me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would just like to point out that while I can disregard your irrational love for the prequel trilogy (or as I like to call it, George Lucas loves money and shit...ilogy), there is one point you made that I cannot allow to stand unopposed. Lando Calrissian was *not* a traitor! Think about it from his perspective. You are the Baron-Administrator of a floating city, in Star Wars that means you are the chief boss man who makes all the major decisions. You are directly responsible for thousands of lives. All indications point to him being a competent leader, and indeed he must have been quite cunning to remain both financially successful and off the Empire's viewscreen. Then suddenly, without warning, an entire Imperial strike force descends on Cloud City. The 501st legion, Vader's Fist, is now wandering around Lando's city, and Darth Vader himself has approached him with a proposal. The Empire will seize the station unless Lando helps to capture a couple of rebel terrorists, one of whom Lando used to pal around with in his smuggling days. Lando has to choose between the safety of his people and the safety of fugitives who have deliberately chosen a quite dangerous career path (be it for money or political reasons). Of course Lando has to do what is right for the citizens he is responsible for (plus Boba Fett is also there, as if Vader wasn't enough, and Boba Fett will fuck his shit up for real). Then, when Lando realizes the Empire is going to renege on their deal, he risks his life to save Han, Leia, and Chewie. All he really had to do was declare a citywide evacuation (which he did) and hightail it out of there. In the face of a nearly omnipotent foe such as the Empire, that is really all that could be expected of him. Yet, Lando not only saves Leia and Chewie, he spends the time between ESB and ROTJ searching for Han. Oh and also he becomes a General and blows up the second Death Star.

    ReplyDelete